So I'm sleeping away, peacefully. It's 7:15 in the morning and Tommy comes running into the room, complaining that Will's not dressed, on the wii, and that Tommy was watching a cartoon until Will changed it to the wii. I lay there, hoping he'll go away. Sometimes it actually works! :)
Then I hear Emma's "meowing" she does regularly (which drives me n.u.t.s.) and walking to my side of the bed. Then I hear her make vomiting sounds. I immediately sit up, rip off my CPAP mask, put my glasses on, and see her doubled over by the foot of my bed,just as it rounds the corner to come to the side. I think to myself, "she's puking! great! all over my mattress,too!" I'm envisioning all the extra laundry today. yipes!
Then I realize she's NOT vomiting, she's gagging on her sputum while she seizes. Yes, folks, another seizure.
I thought (hoped) that with the Tegretol she wouldn't seize anymore. Wishful thinking I s'pose.
Will immediately jumps into action, calling 911. I hear him say, "um, hello. my daughter is having a seizure." I can almost envision the operator rolling their eyes while disconnecting, thinking it's a prank call.
Will tells me they hung up on him. Der.
So he calls back. And says, "I think this time you maybe want to talk to my mom." The phone is then handed to me. So I told the operator she's having another grand mal, turning kind of purple-blue in color, and then move her to the living room floor once I realized that my bedroom is just too tiny (and messy) for the firemen to see!
So half an hour of them in my clean living room (thanks Carrot!) TriMed takes her to Auburn hospital. As we're figuring out driving, I am thinking to myself, "let's see, it's 7:45, the bus comes at 8:38...what to do? what to do?" I hear a knock on the door. Sister Black from my ward. I love her. She not only is gifted at cutting hair, but she's in tune. She was driving past my house this morning and saw the fire truck and TriMed at my house and pulled over. Then she saw them bringing the stretcher to my door and she knocked, asking if I needed help. YES!!!!! So she stayed with the boys until they had to go to the bus stop.
I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who is so mindful of what we need, just when we need it!
They took Emma cuz they thought she may have aspirated her sputum, she sounded really rattley (sp?). An IV, blood test, chest x-ray, listen-to later, she was released and home by 11:20 this morning.
Whew!
Now, if I had it to do over, I would've skipped the ER altogether. But Will got that ball rolling, and really didn't need to. BUT he's a very consciencous big brother who loves his little sister and wanted to help. I can't fault him that. At least he knows what to do in an emergency! What a Cub Scout!
So I guess I don't really know what comes next. Time will tell. Now she's napping. Little sweetie.
Holiday Cards Are Easy For Me
12 years ago


9 comments:
Oh my goodness Heidi! How scary! And Will is such a little man now - what a good brother to know she needed help. Good to know she's doing ok now. Bless that lady from your ward too - Heavenly Father knows when we need our angels!
yes,she is my angel for the day!
oh my heck. Poor Emma...poor you, Heidi! But, oddly enough, seizures are actually a side effect of the medicines. Which seems weird that the side effect of a medicine to stop seizures can actaul cause them, AND...it could just mean that her dose is not high enough. When Noah first got on to Tegretol, he had to have his blood drawn weekly to check to see if the medicine levels in his blood were high enough for it's effectiveness. Tegretol didn't work for him, however. But, you never know what will work. It's all abour trial and error.
Good luck! We totally know what you're going through. It never really gets easier to watch your child go through something like this. Hopefully her and Noah will just grow out of this soon!
WE LOVE YOU, SHULER FAMILY!
from your lips to God's ears.....
Heidi, I talked to Mom a few hours ago and she told me what happened. So sorry to hear. I am so glad that Lindsay is in your corner, educated and experienced in this particular trial.
Hang in there. Love you. -K
while I'm so sorry for Noah's helping Lindsay through this learning curve, I'm unexpectadly grateful at the same time. It sure does help to have someone understand what I'm going through with Emma, and to have parent-insight on the meds and side-effects. :) Thanks Linds!
and again tonight, 12 hours apart. what's the dealio? good thing yet another angel dressed as one of the brothers from our ward came by and happened to be there still when emma began seizing yet again. boy, what a busy day for the angels!
Are you going to be taking her back to the doctor?? The trend of her seizures is exactly like Noah's. Well, with the exception of the length of the actual seizures. But he has a few here and there, but then started having a few a day. And then it got to 10 a day. That was when we knew Tegretol wouldn't be working for him. We have him on Lamictal now, and he hasn't has a seizure for 21 months {knock on wood}, this is his third medicine, and this is the only one that he hasn't has any breakthrough seizures on, like when he's sick and things, which because he's epileptic, his threshold for febrile seizures is lower. It may be worth asking your doctor about that drug. Whatever you do, however, don't let him put her on Phenobarbital. It has the worst developmental side effects. Anyway...I'm jusy rambling...but my cell phone isn't working. Sorry. Good luck!
thanks Linds. Yes, I know all about phenobarbital. That was the drug they put me on as a kid when I had my febrile seizures. I can attest to the reading problems. My concentration is really bad, etc.
She's better today, fever gone. What a mystery.
I have a call into Dr. Milstein, and I spoke to the on-call partner last night after she had her 2nd seizure 12 hours after the 1st. (almost down to the exact minute, too! f.r.e.a.k.y)
Post a Comment