As we begin the new year, I'm reflecting on what I can change and can control. As a wise friend pointed out to me recently, pick something you have complete control over and find your mojo again. This is my quest for 2010. To get my mojo back!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Trying to get it within the parameters of the white space

Hello all. Well I'm going to TRY to make it easier to read this
post and use my return key more often. Okay, so I just dated
myself. It's the "enter" key on the computer keyboard, it was
the "return" key on the IBM electric typewriter. Arugh! Can
you believe I remember that? ;)
I came across a funny picture of an adorable little girl and
am wondering if anyone can identify her for me? Hint, it's
the same person who's typing this posting! Okay, so I'm
not that funny. Oh well, so sue me.
The other night Will asked me and Ryan (at bedtime, kneeling
down for prayer with the other two younger siblings, I might
add) where babies come from. I about choked. I didn't
think Will was old enough for "the talk" yet. I still am
in denial about it. Will said, "Mama, I think I know where
babies come from." I looked sideways at him, holding my
breath, (just in case he's heard/seen something he
shouldn't have!) and asked him what he thought. He announced,
"They come from guacamole!" He was serious. I was laughing
hysterically. I seriously couldn't breath I was laughing
so hard. Yes, Carrot, I was having an "episode" of
laughing and coughing. Something I do daily. Ever since the
oink flu, when I start laughing, I begin coughing.
Uncontollably.
It's embarrassing and annoying. To quote Dr. Doofensmirtz
on Phineas and Ferb, "so I thank you and I curse you." The
flu, that is. The cough.
Anyhoo, we did finally gain composure and still haven't
answered poor Will. I just don't know how to begin "the talk"
with my 8-year old sweetie innocent.
Well, I'll bet you're dying to see the adorable little toddler.
Here she is:



What do you think? I know, Adorable. Awww, shucks. {blush}

2 comments:

carol said...

I love our sweet William's innocent question, and his interesting explanation. I wonder if his guacamole is like my guacamole--the kind made with avacados!? Very cute! Speaking of cute--that squinting little blondie in the pink sweater is pretty darling! Those were happy days for her momma and daddy.

Lefty said...

I love that picture of you, Heidi. So cute! And your mother sure dressed you adorably. 24 pairs of mary janes for a two-year old...i still can't get over that.

Annalise asked me "the question" to bring about "the talk" earlier this year.

Just be frank, respectful (not making it into something shameful, but something wonderful that Heavenly Father gave us to have children), and don't laugh at any other questions so that he will always come to you to talk about this, and not friends, or worse, the internet or magazines.

Sexuality isn't dirty. It's fantastic and a blessing. What people do with it sometimes, though, is the crime. Because he is innocent, if you treat it as a part of life, though a sacred one, so will he. Good luck!!

That's my two cents for a mama who dealt with this already this year. And you know what? For her, when I finished explaining, it was like learning about everything else she's learned about this year: spiders, water and oxygen, butterflies, and how cars use gasoline to have energy. Very matter-of-fact.

Though I recommend always following up with a "this is a sacred thing and we don't talk to just anybody about it. it's not something we discuss with friends or at the dinner table. you can always come talk to me and ask me questions, especially when somebody at school tells you something." that way you can keep tabs on what he is learning from his friends, because i'm sure he is learning *something* from his friends about it!

Good luck, sista!