As we begin the new year, I'm reflecting on what I can change and can control. As a wise friend pointed out to me recently, pick something you have complete control over and find your mojo again. This is my quest for 2010. To get my mojo back!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My hero

In Relief Society on Sunday our lesson was on humility and we somehow veered to talking about who our heroes were, the people in our lives who we want to emulate or who we admire for some character trait. When all the sisters were shouting out names, "Abraham Lincoln", "my mom", "my neighbor", etc., there was one person who resonated in my mind. It is my mom. Here is why she is my hero.
She raised me. That should be enough said. But it isn't.
She raised all 4 of us! That in itself should be the end. But it isn't.
My dear, sweet, beautiful mom took excellent care of my dad while he was so ill for so many years. She endured countless hours in the emergency rooms of hospitals, many different well-meaning but arrogant doctors and nurses, and having to worry about if the next meal she would fix dad would send him back to the hospital because he couldn't digest the food from his many health complications.
She would vent to me when she needed to, sometimes angry, more often than not, tearful, about how she could help dad feel better. Slowly the role of wife became that of caregiver. Watching her toil and worry daily for her eternal companion is my legacy of love. My example of long-suffering and endurance. My example of how to treat others with compassion, even in the face of complete and utter frustration in the situation that she found herself in.






Now her example of endurance with resolving the beaurocracy of the Social Security Administration and her pension, and her final victory, albeit very small, was very sweet for her. And for me, too.
Mom, I love you more than words can say. You are my hero. My friend. My mommy still. Thank you for being the level-headed confidant when my world seems to be caving in.

4 comments:

Julie Weiss said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes because I know for myself just how wonderful your Mom is. I just love her. It's because of her (and you, too) that I was there at your Dad's funeral. I just wanted to return to her a small portion of the love she has always shown me. :)

Heidi said...

My mom will no doubt be embarrassed that I posted what I did, as she is so private, but I felt she deserved to have a "tribute" page and that everyone in the world deserves to know what a wonderful woman she is. She is truly someone to grow up to be like. :)

carol said...

Aww, you two girls are pretty sweet! Julie, your Mother was always an example to me--she was golden, had great integrity. And you'd both do all that I did in a heartbeat for the ones you love. We're blessed to understand through the Gospel to center ourselves on Christ's example of love. With that and repenting and forgiving every day, we've got it "made in the shade", as Dad would say!

carol said...

Heidi, I seem so vain to have two-headed shots of me! Let me explain--it sure wasn't my idea, it was the "policy" of the Photo Studio to place the parent in some of the children's shots. I felt so manipulated by their policy ("what? I have to be in some of the photos? Why? It's about my kids!") I could only think their reason was hoping they'd sell more product. But I went through with the session, after getting all four of you 'cleaned up' for the pictures, but determined we'd never use this Studio again. Not too long after these photos, their Studio closed up. I bet there were a lot of complaints and non-paid photo sessions. Well deserved. I guess they thought this policy would be in more revenue. duh